Please use the menu below to navigate the article sections:
The rapid adoption of cloud computing has seen a significant surge in recent years, partly due to the disruptions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. The ability to quickly innovate and align costs with changing demands has proven to be a lifesaver for many businesses during these uncertain times. As a result, experts in cloud computing, particularly those holding Amazon Web Services (AWS) certifications, have become highly sought after.
If you’re wondering whether an AWS certification is a valuable investment in 2023, the answer is a definitive YES! This article will provide in-depth information about AWS certifications and explain why it’s imperative for you to obtain at least one certification in the near future. Keep reading to learn more!
First and Foremost: What is an AWS Certification?
Before we dive into the benefits of getting an AWS certification in 2023, it is important to be clear on what AWS certification is. AWS certifications can be attained by learning AWS through training courses, hands-on challenge labs, live cloud mastery bootcamps, or on-the-job experience that prepare you for the examination.
IT professionals get AWS certifications to showcase and validate technical skills and knowledge. AWS offers various certification exams for cloud engineers, architects, and administrators. There are hundreds of testing centers across the globe, but these days test takers can choose to take any AWS certification exam from home.
Click the image above to watch this video from our youtube channel
Types of AWS Certifications
AWS currently provides six core certifications and six specialty certifications. The core certifications are grouped into four main paths based on job roles – Foundational (Cloud Practitioner), Architect, Operations, and Developer. These are described in more detail below.
Foundational (Cloud Practitioner)
This certification path is designed for people who want to build and validate their overall understanding of the AWS cloud. This path is beneficial for those in managerial, sales, technical, finance, and purchasing roles working with AWS cloud. There is a single exam in this path which is the AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner exam.
This AWS certification path is designed for solution design engineers, solutions architects, and everyone else who wishes to learn how to develop applications and systems on the AWS platform. This path has two sub-paths:
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate: At the associate level, one must demonstrate knowledge of how to design, manage, and distribute applications and AWS tools. IT professionals taking this certification must have the ability to design and deploy highly scalable and available systems in AWS and understand security, disaster recovery, and troubleshooting concepts. Although not necessary, it is recommended that those who wish to take this certification have at least one year of hands-on experience designing and deploying highly fault-tolerant and scalable AWS systems.
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Professional: To undertake this professional level certification, it is recommended (though not required) to take the Associate-level AWS Certified Solutions Architect exam and have at least two years of hands-on experience designing and deploying AWS systems. In this certification, IT professionals are required to showcase knowledge of complex AWS applications, including how to apply application design best practices, ways to optimize AWS architecture or an enterprise, and how to move applications to AWS.
This path has a single certification – even though the DevOps Engineer Professional sits across the Sysops Administrator and the Developer Associate.
- AWS Certified SysOps Administrator – Associate: This associate level certification provides knowledge of operations and deployment of AWS services and architecture, including data migration and application deployment.
This path is designed for software developers who are interested in learning how to create cloud applications on AWS. It has two sub-paths that include:
- AWS Certified Developer – Associate: This associate level certification provides IT professionals with code-level knowledge and understanding for AWS application design, development, and maintenance. It is highly recommended that you possess at least one year of experience maintaining AWS applications before taking this certification.
- AWS Certified DevOps Engineer – Professional: To undertake this certification it is recommended to have at least two years of hands-on experience provisioning and managing on AWS. Professionals learn various concepts involving continuous deployment and automation of AWS processes as well as how to implement them into the AWS architecture.
There are also five specialty AWS certifications:
- AWS Certified Advanced Networking – Speciality
- AWS Certified Machine Learning – Speciality
- AWS Certified Security – Speciality
- AWS Certified Data Analytics – Speciality
- AWS Certified Database – Speciality
- AWS Certified SAP on AWS – Specialty
6 Reasons why AWS Certifications are worth it in 2023
Now that you understand the different types of AWS certifications, you are probably wondering whether it’s worth earning any of these certifications in these challenging times. Below are some of the reasons why AWS certifications worth it in 2023:
- Expertise In Cloud Computing is a must-have for IT Professionals
One of the main reasons why AWS certifications are worth it in 2023 is because cloud computing is inevitable for IT experts. Revolutionary technologies such as Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning are driving all industries towards the cloud. A majority of IT professionals believe that these cutting-edge technologies play a significant role in the adoption of cloud computing.
Acquiring expertise in cloud computing, especially in AWS services, is a necessity for IT experts today and in the foreseeable future. Therefore, if you want to gain a competitive edge and stick out from the crowd, you cannot overlook AWS certifications in 2023.
- AWS Skills Demand Is Outstripping Supply
Finding individuals with cloud computing skills has become difficult for employers across the globe. According to an Indeed report, about 60% of cloud computing job postings require AWS-related skills. These numbers indicate that skills and knowledge in AWS are in high demand and will continue to be in the future. Learning AWS is, therefore, one of the best ways of advancing your career and ensuring you get a top-dollar job in your dream company.
The AWS-commissioned report “Unlocking APAC’s Digital Potential: Changing Digital Skill Needs and Policy Approaches” states that demand for cloud skills in APAC is expected to triple by 2025.
- AWS Is Widely Used In Cloud Adoption
Another reason why you should kick-start your cloud computing journey with AWS is that AWS controls over a third of the IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service) Market. This is more than the next two providers (Google Cloud Platform and Microsoft Azure) combined. If this trend continues – which experts believe it will, we are likely to see exponential growth in AWS in the next few years. Therefore, getting an AWS certification in 2023 is a smart career choice for IT professionals and those who want to grow their business and skills on this highly-regarded platform.
- Increased Cloud Migration To AWS
SMEs, as well as well-established organizations across all industry verticals, are increasingly migrating to the cloud. GlobalData predicts that the cloud computing market will experience substantial growth, rising from USD 480.04 billion in 2022 to $1,119.5 billion by 2026, with a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 15.2%.
The massive enterprise migration doesn’t come without its fair share of challenges. To solve them, there is an increasing need for professional, customized solutions. This has led to increasing demand for cloud experts who can assist businesses ease their transition from conventional IT infrastructure to the cloud. In-depth expertise and know-how in cloud platforms, especially AWS, has become a valuable asset for organizations across the board, and this is one of the reasons why you should consider an AWS certification today.
- Certifications Validate Credibility And Expertise
Trust, credibility, and expertise are significant factors when it comes to offering value to potential clients and employers. These are the factors that help AWS practitioners stand out and build long-lasting relationships. A great way to establish credibility, trust, and expertise is to produce a certificate that shows you have skills in a particular area. By earning AWS certifications, professionals demonstrate to their clients and potential employers that they have gone through rigorous training and have the capacity to successfully implement challenging tasks. With proof of expertise, there is no reason why you should not land a lucrative job in your dream organization. Don’t make the mistake of overlooking the importance of AWS certifications in 2023.
- AWS Skills Are Well Compensated
Individuals holding AWS certifications are among the highest-earning professionals. For example, the AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Professional ranks highly on the Top-Paying Certifications List. In 2022, professionals with this certification reported an average salary of $158,485 – ranking it amongst the top five highest-paying IT certifications.
Many AWS jobs offer a six-figure salary. As you think of enhancing your skills in these challenging times, choose the AWS certification path you want to take, find great AWS Certification training courses, study hard, and pass your exam and you too can become a cloud computing expert.
Make 2023 Your Year!
- On-Demand Training: Learn at your own pace and on your own schedule.
- Challenge Labs: Apply what you’ve learned in a real-world setting without the risk of incurring surprise cloud bills.
- Cloud Mastery Bootcamp: Build job-ready skills with this live, immersive training that can get you certified faster than you thought possible.
You may also be interested in:
- Entry Level Cloud Computing Jobs – Roles and Responsibilities
- How to Get a Cloud Job without Experience
- 10 Tips on How to Enter the Cloud Computing Industry
- Top-Paying Cloud Certifications and Jobs
Note: Last updated May 9, 2023