General AWS CodeStar Concepts
AWS CodeStar enables you to quickly develop, build, and deploy applications on AWS. AWS CodeStar provides a unified user interface, enabling you to easily manage your software development activities in one place.
With AWS CodeStar, you can set up your entire continuous delivery toolchain in minutes, allowing you to start releasing code faster.
AWS CodeStar makes it easy for your whole team to work together securely, allowing you to easily manage access and add owners, contributors, and viewers to your projects.
Each AWS CodeStar project comes with a project management dashboard, including an integrated issue tracking capability powered by Atlassian JIRA Software.
With the AWS CodeStar project dashboard, you can easily track progress across your entire software development process, from your backlog of work items to teams’ recent code deployments.
Exam tip: If an exam scenario requires a unified development toolchain, and mentions collaboration between team members, synchronization, and centralized management of the CI/CD pipeline this will be CodeStar rather than CodePipeline or CodeCommit.
Benefits and features
Project templates for various projects and programming languages:
- With AWS CodeStar project templates, you can easily develop a variety of applications including websites, web applications, web services, and Alexa skills.
Work across your team securely:
- AWS CodeStar enables you to collaborate across your team in a secure manner.
- AWS CodeStar simplifies the process of setting up project access for teams because it provides built-in role-based policies that follow AWS security best practices.
- You can easily manage access for project owners, contributors, and viewers without needing to manually configure your own policy for each service.
Support for multiple Integrated Development Environments (IDEs):
- Integrates natively with the AWS Cloud9 cloud-based IDE.
- Can also choose from a number of popular IDEs such as Microsoft Visual Studio and Eclipse.
CodeStar integrates with several other AWS services including:
There is no additional charge for AWS CodeStar.
You pay for AWS resources (e.g. EC2 instances, Lambda executions or S3 buckets) used to in your CodeStar projects.
You only pay for what you use, as you use it; there are no minimum fees and no upfront commitments.